Friday, September 19, 2014

Been a while

Well, it certainly has been a while since I've posted. I should be a little more diligent about that.  But I guess the fact is, there isn't much doll wise to post, but I do have a couple of things now.

We went to Alaska with my sister and brother-in-law in July for 2 weeks, so planning the trip was a lot a work and time consuming. We were also planning a remodel of our kitchen and baths and a few other things like new carpet and painting. We also spent a lot of time cleaning out the basement, I'm getting ready to have a yard sale, thought I would have it by now but I must have it soon. My husband and I are planning to move to the Phoenix area, so getting the house in shape to put on the market is my top priority right now.

A couple of weeks ago, my old doll club got together at Paloma's. Pam flew in from Denver for a few days, it was great to see her again. We had such a great time, it was like no one had moved away, and we were all just so comfortable with each other. Such a great group of ladies. Our project was a flat doll that Paloma designed based on a pattern by Barbara Willis. I almost finished mine while I was there, but she needed a few finishing touches at home.
I made her with Christmas fabrics so I can display her at Christmas time, but she hangs in my sewing room right now.

I've also been working on 2 dolls for the Houston International Quilt Show. They have a large doll exhibit there every year along with the quilts and classes. Pamela Armas - Gypsy Pamela from Treasures of the Gypsy organizes the exhibit dolls, this year called "In Celebration of the Doll" and she has her Gypsy Challenge. The Gypsy Challenge this year is Mardi Gras and it didn't have to be a doll. So I have one exhibition doll. Her name is "Rosie" and she loves the beach. She is based on Barbara Schoenoff's Fat Lady of the Circus pattern.

My Gypsy Challenge piece will stay a secret for now, after all it is a challenge and I shouldn't post it before the event. I will post pictures of it in early November, after I return. That's right!! I am going to Houston! I am meeting my friend Pam, who lives in Denver, and we are spending 5 days at the Quilt Festival. I'll have lots of pictures of the dolls on exhibit. The local doll club, Material Girls, is putting on their own exhibit as well as the TOADA (Texas Association of Original Doll Artists). There will be a lot to see. And the quilts, oh my. I can just imagine how beautiful they will be. I will also be taking 2 classes, Simply Sewing with Silk which is learning about different kinds of silk and how to use them. Also a class in Silk Sashiko, which should be great.

So that will be all for a while. I need to clean out my sewing room (mission impossible) to have some drywall work done and new carpet installed. Not much will be going back in the room but I will put back the basics so that I can make some new dolls. I have some Cindee Moyer online classes that I am taking and still have dolls that need finishing. Now to the sewing room to decide what goes in the yard sale, what goes in the trash, and what gets packed away.

Check back to see my challenge doll, I think it came out great, but that's just my humble opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Both beautiful dolls, and so you! I envy your trip to Houston - I want to live vicariously, so am going to hold you to that promise of lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete